INSTRUCTIONS FOR REQUIRED FORM K-36:
SECTION A MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS - LOCATION (This section includes requirements for facilities at the location for which the license is requested).
The requirements of this subsection may be waived for second and subsequent licenses, provided the location for which such license is applied is adjacent to a location licensed by such applicant under Section 14-52, C.G.S.
4. NEW CAR DEALER: An area for the display and storage of new and used motor vehicles with a repair department capable of taking care of at least two (2) motor vehicles and an office and parts department suitable to conduct business. Each applicant for a new car dealers license must also hold a contract (franchise) from the manufacturer or importer, licensed by the State of Connecticut, for each new make of vehicles offered for sale. This contract must be certified by each such manufacturer or importer and submitted to the DMV.
SECTION B MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS - PERSONNEL AND EQUIPMENT
New and Used Dealers Will be Required to Demonstrate the Proper Use of:
Estimate orders and your provision for documenting oral authorization
Repairers Will be Required to Have and Demonstrate the Proper Use of:
Waiver of estimates
Loan agreements (repair plates)
Supplemental I.D. card for plate use
Estimate orders and your provision for documenting oral authorization
A towing business (which must have a dealer/repairer license) will be required to have tow records (invoices) and be knowledged in the proper methods to dispose of abandoned vehicles.
Proper tools and equipment will be required for the operation of your business. New and used dealers will be required to have necessary tools/equipment to perform a complete safety inspection.
An exam will be given before or at the time of your final inspection for your knowledge of the automobile sales or repair business as required by state laws.
At the time your inspection is conducted you will be required to be prepared with the following items, showing your business is ready for operation:
HAVE POSTED ANY AND ALL SIGNS REQUIRED FOR YOUR BUSINESS
NEW CAR DEALER
1. Lemon Law (Auto Dispute Program) signs posted in the service area.
2. V.I.N. etching cost.
USED CAR DEALER,ALSO REPAIRER
1. Customer rights
2. Labor and storage price sign.
A trade name certificate, if required, showing the signature of the town or city clerk in the municipality in which the licensee will do business and, if the applicant is a corporation or a limited liability corporation, a certificate of existence from the Office of the Secretary of the State. (A trade name certificate is required whenever a person, firm or corporation does business under a name different from the person's name or different from the names of the partners or officers).
SECTION E LOCATION - NOT PREVIOUSLY APPROVED (This section is to be complied with only: a) If the location at which the license is sought has not been previously approved for such use by local authorities or DMV, b) If the location is a reduction of the licensed area or additional property or subdivision at the licensed area. If the location has been previously approved, refer to SECTION F below ).
1. The CERTIFICATE OF APPROVAL FOR PROPOSED LOCATION section 2 of the K-7 form APPLICATION FOR AUTOMOBILE DEALER'S OR REPAIRER'S LICENSE must be completed and signed by the local authorities in the city or town in which the location is proposed. "Local authorities" means the Zoning Board of Appeals. If there is no ZBA in the municipality, approval must be obtained from the selectman or town manager of the town, the mayor of the city, or the warden of the borough.
The local authorities must hold a hearing on the application before it is granted, and this hearing will be scheduled upon receipt of an application for the same from the license applicant. (Application must be made to the local authorities for this hearing, not to the DMV). The applicant must pay a standard fee, plus costs of advertising and conducting the hearing. The hearing must be advertised in a local newspaper (2) times not less than one (1) week before the hearing.
2. The Chief of Police statement on the bottom of section 2 of the APPLICATION FOR AUTOMOBILE DEALER'S OR REPAIRER'S LICENSE (Form no. K-7) must be completed and signed by the chief of police in the locality in which the location is proposed. If the locality has no organized police department, the statement must be completed and signed by the commander of the nearest Connecticut State Police barracks.
3. A certificate of approval from the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection must be obtained. Information is available from the DMV when application forms are initially requested.
4. An A-2 survey map of the proposed location must be prepared. This drawing must be prepared in accordance with the SITE DRAWING INSTRUCTIONS (Form no. K-93) .
5. An examination fee of $280 must accompany the above materials when submitted to the DMV. This fee is for the initial examination of the proposed location pursuant to Section 14-53, C. G. S., which requires that the Commissioner approve such location in regard to safety of the public. This is not an application or license fee.
SECTION F LOCATION - PREVIOUSLY APPROVED (This section is to be complied with only if the location at which the license is sought has been previously approved. If the location has not been previously approved, refer to SECTION E above).
1. The CERTIFICATE OF APPROVAL FOR PROPOSED LOCATION section 2 of the APPLICATION FOR AUTOMOBILE DEALER'S OR REPAIRER'S LICENSE (Form no.K-7) must be completed and signed by the local authorities in the city or town in which the location is proposed. "Local authorities" means the Zoning Board of Appeals. If there is no ZBA in the municipality, approval must be obtained from the selectman or town manager of the town, the mayor of the city, or the warden of the borough.
The hearing may be waived at the discretion of the local authorities. However, the CERTIFICATE OF APPROVAL FOR PROPOSED LOCATION section must be signed and the appropriate information on the waiver and previous approval must be completed. If a hearing is held, refer to SECTION E above for information and requirements.
2. The requirements of SECTION E, 2, 3, 4, and 5, must also be complied with.
SECTION G FILING OF APPLICATION AND FEES (Examination, application, and license fees are NOT refundable under any circumstance).
Submit the completed application (with supporting documents) to the DMV with an application fee of $140. The license and registration fees are paid after approval of the application. Refer to SECTION I below for license and plate fees. The following required items must also be submitted with the completed application.
SECTION H FEES
All Licenses and Plate Fees are for a Two Year Period
Examination fee (new locations only) $280.00
Application fee (all licenses) $140.00
New dealer license $700.00
Used dealer license $560.00
Repairer license (including limited repairer) $340.00
Registration fee per plate (1 per vehicle) $140.00
Safety fee (per plate) $5.00
Special dealer registration plates 1/2 COMMERCIAL RATE
SECTION I STATE AGENCY INFORMATION
Applications for dealer and repairer licenses are processed by the Dealers and Repairers Division of the DMV at 60 State Street, Wethersfield, CT 06161-2011, Room 102, telephone (860) 263-5056. Forms and assistance are available from this office. The State Department of Revenue Services is at 92 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT 06105. The State Department of Environmental Protection, Oil and Chemical Unit, is in the State Office Building, 165 Capital Avenue, Hartford, CT 06106.
Home | CT.gov Home | Submit Site Suggestions
State of Connecticut
Policy Copyright © 2002 State of Connecticut
Universal Website Accessibility Policy applies
k36 (Rev. 01-09-02)